Laurel Elementary School Marks 100 Years
- Kristen Norton

- Jul 22
- 2 min read

On June 5, community members, students, alumni, and current and former teachers gathered at Laurel Elementary School (LES) to celebrate the school’s 100th anniversary. The celebration began with a short ceremony in the school cafeteria. Across from the stage was a mural of the original 1926 school building, a nod to the past and a reminder of the school’s century-long history!
The ceremony began with a presentation of the colors by American Legion Laurel Post 60 and a performance of the Star Spangled Banner by the school’s choir. After a welcome speech by Principal Tyrone Harris, Mayor Keith Sydnor shared remarks highlighting historical events of the last century and presented Harris with a mayoral proclamation. The evening’s ceremony proceeded with a moving tribute to past and present teachers and students made by Nicole Parks, the school’s Guidance Counselor. The ceremony concluded with attendees joining together to sing the school song.

The Laurel Historical Society (LHS) was proud to participate in the festivities with a display of historic photographs, newspaper articles, yearbooks, class photos, and other materials from the LHS and LES archives. The exhibit, curated by Amy Dunham (incoming President of the LHS Board and current LES teacher) with assistance from the LHS Collections Committee, gave attendees an opportunity to reminisce and share fond memories of their time at LES.
For 100 years, LES has been a cornerstone of the Laurel community. Constructed in 1926 at a cost of $60,000, the original brick school building opened with 340 students and eight teachers. A growing student population in the early 1930s led to additions in 1932 and 1938. By the early 1960s, the school had grown to a total of 13 classrooms, plus a multipurpose room, teacher’s lounge, cafeteria, storeroom, attic, and principal’s office.
LES was the city’s first consolidated school, bringing together students from Laurel’s former “Uptown” and “Downtown” schoolhouses. Built during the era of segregated education, the school became part of the Prince George’s County Board of Education’s integration efforts in 1955. By the start of the 1956 school year, 21 African American students had enrolled.
Construction of the current school building began in 1972. In July of 1974, the original 1926 building was demolished. All retired teachers received a brick from the building as a memento. Construction on the current school building was finished in 1974, and it welcomed students that fall. Today, the original location of Laurel Elementary School is the circular driveway and parking lot to the north of the present campus.
Kristen Norton is the Executive Director of the Laurel Historical Society. The LHS is a 501(c)(3) non-profit founded in 1975 with the mission to deepen the understanding of the past and cultural heritage of Laurel, Maryland to connect and inspire, for today and the future. To learn more please visit laurelhistoricalsociety.org.

Comments